One of the hardest things to try and do on the AIP is to try and coat things in crumbs, without the use of flour, or crumbs or Eggs! When I discovered that I could coat things in oil, either olive oil or coconut oil, and that coconut flour would stick to it, I was thrilled. If you search for Paleo and Coconut chicken recipes, every recipe uses eggs, but what happens if you are following the Elimination Stage of the AIP or you cannot eat eggs?
This recipe was my solution and it has become a firm favourite in my house. It is also a great recipe for kids.
Healthy ‘chicken nuggets’. 😉
- x4 -pasture raised -skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 cup Coconut Flour
- ½ cup Desiccated Coconut
- •Salt (Himalayan or Sea Salt)
- Mixed Dried Herbs, eg thyme, marjoram, rosemary, basil, oregano
- ½ cup Coconut Oil/Olive Oil plus extra for frying.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Place the cut up chicken pieces into a bowl with coconut or olive oil and toss until the chicken pieces are completely coated.
- Then place the coconut flour, and desiccated coconut mix into a plastic jiffy bag (or bowl if you prefer).
- Add the salt and mixed herbs into the packet.
- The above amounts are an estimate; add enough flour to coat the chicken pieces.
- Place the coated chicken strips into the bag; make sure it’s sealed properly and shake it around to coat all the pieces of chicken.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry until golden on both sides but not cooked all the way through.
- Then place all the chicken strips in an ovenproof dish and place in the oven for 20-30 min.
- You will need to cut a piece open to check it’s cooked all the way through. ( Don't leave it in for too long, otherwise it will dry out).
- Serve with roast vegetables, avocado and salad or anything else you chose.